Public Dedication of Historical Marker to take place at the William E. Scripps Estate
On Saturday, May 16, state and local officials, historians, architects, and art lovers will participate in the public dedication of a historic marker at the site of the William E. Scripps Estate. The marker commemorates the site’s listing on the National Register of Historic Places, and will be unveiled by Anna Scripps, who will represent the William E. Scripps family.
William E. Scripps built the Norman Revival mansion on his 3800 acre estate in Orion Township in 1927. Detroit architect Clarence E. Day designed the elegant and graceful residence. The house and grounds were listed in 2007 on the National Register as nationally significant because of the outstanding architecture and designed landscape, as well as the site’s association with its famous founder. Scripps, who was heir to the Detroit News, was an early aviator, radio pioneer, auto manufacturer, environmentalist, and patron of the arts. Many fine examples of American arts and crafts survive at the estate in metalwork, stone, stained glass, and painted finishes.
The William E. Scripps Estate is owned by Guest House, Inc., a non-profit organization that has operated a residential treatment center at the site since the 1950s for Catholic clergy suffering from alcoholism and other addictions. In 2007, a new treatment center was built, making the unique mansion accessible to the public on a periodic basis.
The historic marker will be formally presented by Jack Dempsey of the Michigan Historical Commission. He will be joined by; Oakland County Commissioner Mike Gingell; Orion Township Supervisor Matt Gibb; President and CEO of Guest House, Inc., Dan Kidd; President and CEO of Harley Ellis Devereaux Architects & Engineers, Dennis King; and founder of the Orion Historical Society and founding member of the Friends of the William E. Scripps Estate, Sara Van Portfliet.
The public is invited to the dedication, which will take place at 10 am. The event is hosted by Guest House, the Friends of the William E. Scripps Estate, and the Orion Historical Society. Afterward, there will be free admission to the grounds and a light refreshment reception. Limited guided tours of the mansion will also be available at a reduced rate of $10 on a first come, first served basis. Also featured will be the rededication of an original garden fountain by famous landscape architect, Bryant Fleming. The festivities will conclude at 1 pm. The William E. Scripps Estate is located at 1840 W. Scripps Road in Lake Orion. It is also available for private tours on an appointment basis. For further information, the website can be found at www.friendsofscrippsestate.org, or contact 248-391-4445, ext. 1100. If planning to attend, an RSVP is requested.